Smoothies are a really easy way to get a lot of nutrients quickly and put your body back into balance. Smoothies can be satisfying and filling when made with a variety of good quality ingredients. Dr. Sears calls smoothies the “Sipping Solution” because fill in where diets are lacking nutrients, feeling too full or not full enough, and help blood sugar spikes. Plus, smoothies are a covenient meal on the go that will keep you from running through a drive thru!
For a filling and tasty smoothie, the key is finding a good mix of ingredients and not just have one without the other.
5 things to include in a smoothie:
- Healthy low or no sugar fluid– nut milks, low sugar juice, coconut water
- Healthy fats– avocado, nut butter, flaxseed, or chia
- Healthy proteins– plain Greek yogurt, nut butter, protein powder
- Healthy fruits AND greens
- Flavors and nutrients-cinnamon, wheat germ, shredded coconut, ginger, lemon,
Bonus: For added fiber- oats (put them in the blender first and grind until fine), date, figs
Tips for making a smoothie like the juice shop:
- Get a good blender- it doesn’t need to be $500 but one that has some power (I have a Breville that works great and is not too big).
- Stock up on organic frozen fruit (with NO added sugar- check the label)
- Use UNSWEETEND liquid- like a nut milk. Using juice? Mix 50/50 water.
- Plan to use more liquid than you think. I use about 1 cup of liquid in my smoothies. Add a little more as necessary to get the desired consistency.
- Ice- Using frozen fruit, don’t add ice. No frozen fruit, use just a little ice. Too much ice can make consistency too watery. Want to keep it cold while you drink, add one or two ice cubes AFTER you make the smoothie.
- Try a various protein powders, they are all different. Often you can get a small packet to try before committing to a large container.
Last words of advice… GET CREATIVE. Try out different ingredients. Get your family involved. Everyone can benefit from a nutrient packed smoothie.
My Favorite Smoothie: Nutty Fruit Smoothie
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup water
1 tablespoon almond or peanut butter
1 tablespoon flax seed
½- 1 cup blueberries
1 cup of spinach
Blend until smooth (my blender has a smoothie button and it’s perfect!).
Pour into cute, insulated travel cup and tackle the day!