10 Tips for How to Stay Healthy While Traveling
Some of us are planning to travel soon and a trip is always exciting- especially this year. However, many times it can throw us off our healthy routines and we over-do it.
If we’ve been trying to “get in shape” for that trip, all of sudden our healthy choices go out the window as soon as the plane touches down. It’s fun to indulge, but it can leave you not feeling so great. So here are some ideas so that you can enjoy and make healthier choices so you feel good too:
- Bring your own travel snacks.
- Start out on the right foot and bring your own travel snacks. Pack your own balanced snack pack with protein, fruit, whole grains.
- Do I really love it or is it just there?
- Sometimes we are eating something just because it’s there or because we HAVE to try the local favorites. But ask yourself, if you truly love it or are just eating it because it’s there? Sometimes a bite or two is enough.
- Do I need to have the Key Lime Pie every night at dinner?
- I love dessert, but no reason to over-do it. Take a night off and you’ll enjoy it even more the next time. This also relates to #2, just because it’s there doesn’t mean you need to have it.
- Big dinners out.
- Not every night has to be an elaborate dinner. Plan a night or two with some lighter meals.
- Make your own breakfast or lunch and include foods that are healthier options.
- Eat your fruits and vegetables.
- Add them as your side instead of French fries, order salads, buy some fruit to snack on.
- Watch the alcohol.
- It’s really easy to over-do drinking on vacation. Try having one less drink or a night off of cocktails. Then there are the fruity pool drinks which are yummy but full of sugar. Think about having 1 and then switch to something else lighter. OR…..
- Drink water! Bring your own water bottle and keep refilling it. Especially important to stay hydrated when flying.
- Plan to exercise. It’s a great time to try something new.
- Plan walks or runs, look up the hotel’s fitness center, find a local place to take a workout class (I’ve tried classes all over- Miami, Chattanooga, London, San Diego, Aspen), try tennis or golf lessons. Think ahead so that you can plan and schedule if necessary. It’s also a great time to get a little “me time” to recharge!
- Rest and get good night’s sleep.